In this workshop at the Taiko Spirit Retreat 2022
I will give a practical introduction to janggu
playing. This is an excellent basis for katsugi okedō-daiko
I will place the focus on
- the coordination of steps and drum beats
- the coordination or independence of right and left
- a relaxed, yet powerful and economical movement
- the ho-heup (literally "breathing"): In addition to inhaling and exhaling, this refers to the tension in a rhythm, the energy, the tensing and relaxing. The ho-heup becomes externally visible through a springy up and down movement in the knees during drumming and dancing.
- the interplay in the group
- the (dance) formations in space
I teach with the method of before and after playing (echo playing) and by means of rhythmic language. Notations are secondary, but can serve as illustration. Body awareness, movement and relaxation always form the basis before we get into drumming, as the drum sound is shaped by the quality of our movement.
Workshop 2 builds on Workshop 1 and requires participation in the latter.